Getting your license in Hawaii is a suprising easy process with our experience staff here to help you every step of the way! We can send you all the necessary paperwork and help you make your appointments.
If you would like to get started on your own, we've included all the steps necessary to obtain and legalize your license. First visit https://marriage.ehawaii.gov to begin the process of obtaining your marriage license. You must have a license before the ceremony to be legally married.
After you submit your application you should immediately call and make an appointment to meet with the licensing agent.
On the Kihei side of the island call 808-875-8459
On the Lahaina side of the island call 808-276-6919
We jointly will sign the license immediately after the ceremony.
To view the application instructions for the electronic marriage license system, click on the links below:
The marriage license application form is available in PDF format:
Who is Eligible to Apply for a Marriage License?
- There are no state residence or U.S. citizenship requirements.
- Blood tests are not required.
- The legal age to marry is 18 years for both males and females.
- Males or females of 16 or 17 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents, legal guardian, or the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Males or females of 15 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents or legal guardian, and the written approval of a judge of the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Proof of age is required. A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 years of age or under. A valid I.D. or driver’s license may be presented for anyone 19 years of age or over.
- If previously married, proof of original divorce decree or death certificate needs to be presented to the marriage agent by the applicant if the divorce or death was final within 30 days of applying for a marriage license.
How to Apply for a Marriage License
- The applicants must appear together in person before a marriage license agent to apply for a marriage license. Proxies are not allowed.
- The applicants should be prepared to provide the necessary proof of age and present any required written consents and approvals. All of the necessary documents should be obtained prior to applying for a marriage license.
- The applicants must prepare an official application and file the application in person with the marriage license agent. The application may be completed online (see website below). The application will not be accepted if sent by either postal mail or e-mail.
- Upon approval, a marriage license is issued at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license fee is $60.00 (plus $5.00 portal administrative cost). The fee may be paid online or in-person at the time the application is submitted to a marriage license agent.
- The marriage license is good only in, but is valid throughout, the State of Hawaii.
- The marriage license expires 30 days from and including the date of issuance, after which it automatically becomes null and void.